[Literally as I sat down in the woods by the creek to have some quiet time and write this in my journal, I had the thought "oh how I dread winter when I can't come out here to my quiet place!"]
I'm usually anti-list making or "10 Easy Steps to Whatever", but an ungrateful heart calls for drastic measures. This is a practical list of physical and spiritual "exercise" I'm requiring of myself before I complain about anything:
"Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in Thanksgiving." Colossians 2:6
1. Praise God for life itself and the life He's given you through His Son.
2. Count your blessings, name them one by one. Take a look around you. Then write them down--Say them out loud. Whatever it takes.
3. Go for a run or even just a walk- or both! Get away and get re-motivated.
4. Take a shower or at least splash cold water on your face. Yep, you read that right. Wake yourself up to the reality of God's goodness and faithfulness to you.
5. Read The Word. This is number 5 for a reason. Sometimes the words are a blur if your heart isn't quiet. The previous steps might help make this one more meaningful.
6. Before, during, and after these steps-- Pray! "Pour out your heart before Him" Psalm 62:8 If you want the perfect perspective, pray for His.
7. Repeat Psalm 46:1 to yourself. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." In that exact moment you can't feel him there ... He actually is.If these steps aren't effective, you are either in a pickle, or you are a pickle. o_0
Repeat until they are- just don't give into the lie that you don't have a choice about how you feel or that you don't have control over your thoughts! "The number one cause of regret is living life with an ungrateful heart." (Said someone somewhere at some time I'm sure)
[ oh and step #8 is: Blog "Seven Steps to Gratefulness" so the world can help keep you accountable. *sheepish glance*]